Saturday, August 7, 2010

Favorite Books of All Time

My cousin suggested I do this so I figured I would. This is a list of some of my favorite books. I hope you enjoy and give them a read. :-)

Jane Eyre By Charlotte Bronte
For those of you who don't know about this book I will first say it's defiantly chick lit. Not saying that a guy can't enjoy it. I just think the main audience who reads it will be female. This book is about a orphan named Jane Eyre who becomes governess for a wealthy man named Mr. Rochester. They eventually fall in love but there are things that stand in the way of them being together. I like Jane as a character. She's mousy but smart and kind. I can relate to her. Not to mention Mr. Rochester (okay the Mr. Rochester in my head) is amazing! So defiantly give it a read if you are into romance
books.



The Bell Jar By Sylvia Plath
For starters I love Sylvia Plath. I love her poetry (Lady Lazarus is my favorite) There is something so twisted about her. She writes with dry humor but you know behind the humor there is pain. This book is basically an autobiography but with different names and (I'm guessing) plot changes. It's a story of falling into madness and the journey to recovery. I really wished she would have written another book because I would have really liked to have read it.



To Kill A Mockingbird By Harper Lee
I am one of the weird ones who did not read this book for school but on my own time. If you have not read this book you really should. It's just a great story that was beautifully written. You fall in love with all of the characters instantly. It is told through the point of view of a six year old, Scout Finch. Lee really gets the essence of what it's like to be a child. It also shows the prejudice in the South and how one man stands up against it. This book is a classic that has many profound messages.


The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger 
I think this is a book that people either love or hate. I personally loved this book. You can argue that Holden Caulfield is a whiny unlikable character. You can say the plot is pointless and boring. That book contributed to John Lennon dying. I've heard it all, my friend. What I love about this book is that I really believe it shows a truth to the years between childhood and adulthood. It shows realistically the confusion and angst you feel when your a teen. Also, for the time, it was really controversial with the swearing and sexuality. I mean this book was written in the 50's, when everyone was trying to be perfect. I truly believe that Holden is not only a voice of a generation but a voice of many generations after.

Dracula By Bram Stoker
Okay, let's face the reality of today, shall we? Vampires are being spoon fed to us. There I said it. There are numerous book series, TV shows, and movies selling us this concept of a vampire. They usually have a love twist to them and have gone as far as to say vampires sparkle. This is why I read Dracula. I wanted to see where vampires started because I know where they ended up. Final conclusion? This book is amazing! Dracula and his minions are scary. Vampires are monsters in this book. All the myth associated with vampires weren't smoothed over, they where all there. This is the way vampires should be. I love also how it was written with diary entries, news clips and letters. So if you roll your eyes every time you see ANOTHER vampire book, movie, or show, please read. It is really refreshing. WARNING! I have one minor complaint   about this book. The ending was so drawn out. That was very irritating.

So there they are. Tell me what you think!
Yours Truly~grrrl in green
pictures from Google images

No comments:

Post a Comment